Saturday, April 14, 2012

Peace

I really don't have time to be writing this, but I think sometimes those are the best times to write.  Because you say what you mean to say exactly the way you want to say it.

I was actually about to close my computer when a thought found its way into my mind and stuck itself to one of my favorite verses, Philippians 4: 4-7--"Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Peace.  I have always thought of peace as a type of emotion, I "feel" at peace.  But as my stomach has been in a nervous state for the past few days and friends keep telling me to rest in the Lord, I keep finding myself thinking but you don't understand.  Because my emotions are anything but peaceful.  Yet.  I smile when I think about God's peace.  It is SO MUCH bigger than the facade of feeling someone might call peace.  Yes, I am intuitive, and sometimes I do feel senses that I know are from all that is good.  One can have assurance, however, when your stomach is turning over on itself, when the future is so uncertain you could cry, when you don't know how to handle your own emotion.  God's peace isn't just emotional.  It's cognitive.  It's real.  And it can change your life.  So amidst all of this, I call upon the only Deliverer, the One from which all clarity comes.

My emotion may be messy momentarily, even for the long hall, but the assurance runs deep.  That I bring to the Lord my deepest desires and rely not on my own understanding but receive freedom from the violence of my warring flesh and spirit.  This my friends, is Power, Power of truth, nobility, and whatever is praiseworthy.  Including pure and passionate emotion.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful thoughts made more beautiful being set in the context of your life of late. This is something I have thought of often recently too...the thing that impresses me most about it is that it is a peace that "passeth understanding." As you say, the peace of the presence of God is more than emotion--but it's more than reason too. Leaving both of us confounded. :) Which I think is also called worship.

    Thanks for writing, as always.

    ReplyDelete